Saturday, November 3, 2007

Ribs, Saurkraut, and Potato Salad

Ribs, Saurkraut, and Homemade Potato Salad




I am stuffed to the gills right now. I ate way more than I should have but I was really hungry before dinner.

Ribs:
Pork country boneless ribs (don't recall how much weight; it was a "family pack" and had about 6 long ribs)
Bottle of Saurkraut
A good amount of BBQ sauce

I cut each rib in half and put it in the crockpot. Then I rinsed the saurkraut and covered the ribs. Then I added a small bottle's worth of BBQ sauce over the saurkraut. I started it late so I put it on high but ideally it should be on low, cooking all day.

Potato Salad:
Courtesy of Cook's Illustrated.
All-American Potato Salad
7/2004

Note that this recipe calls for celery seed, not celery salt; if only celery salt is available, use the same amount but omit the addition of salt in the dressing. When testing the potatoes for doneness, simply taste a piece; do not overcook the potatoes or they will become mealy and will break apart. The potatoes must be just warm, or even fully cooled, when you add the dressing. If you find the potato salad a little dry for your liking, add up to 2 tablespoons more mayonnaise.

Serves 4 to 6
2 pounds russet potatoes (3 to 4 medium), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
table salt
2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
1 medium rib celery , chopped fine (about 1/2 cup)
2 tablespoons minced red onion
3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
1/2 cup mayonnaise (see note)
3/4 teaspoon powdered mustard
3/4 teaspoon celery seed
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 large hard-cooked eggs , peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes (optional)


1. Place potatoes in large saucepan and add water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to boil over medium-high heat; add 1 tablespoon salt, reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring once or twice, until potatoes are tender, about 8 minutes.

2. Drain potatoes and transfer to large bowl. Add vinegar and, using rubber spatula, toss gently to combine. Let stand until potatoes are just warm, about 20 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, in small bowl, stir together celery, onion, pickle relish, mayonnaise, mustard powder, celery seed, parsley, pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Using rubber spatula, gently fold dressing and eggs, if using, into potatoes. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour; serve. (Potato salad can be covered and refrigerated for up to 1 day.)

----------------

In other news, I've been drinking Coca-Cola made in Mexico. I got it at Costco.



Yeah, yeah, I know. Terribly phallic. But I didn't realize it until after I had taken the photo and I'm letting it stand. Ha. Anyway, it's made with sugar rather than high fructose corn syrup. I am telling you, this is the Coke of my youth. I remember the taste and it's delectable. I've had them a few times this past week (not as much as once a day).

No comments: