Friday, November 2, 2007

"Jambalaya"

This is the jambalaya whilst it was cooking:




And here it is when it is done:




I have to say this is one of my favorite meals ever! I've made it a lot over the years; it's a recipe from my parents. I put the word jambalaya in quotes because it's not authentic by any stretch of the imagination. Here's the recipe:

Ingredients
1 lb. boneless chicken, any type, chopped into 1" pieces
1 lb. italian sausage, sliced (I think I got about 6 pieces from each link)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. cajun seasoning
1 - 28 oz. can of whole tomatoes, undrained
2 1/2 cups of chicken broth
1 cup rice (we use white; brown would need more time)

Directions
Brown the chicken and sausage in a little bit of oil in a dutch oven. Once they're mostly cooked add the onion and bell pepper. Cook for a bit until the onion is softened. Then add thyme, cajun seasoning, garlic, and tomatoes. (I put the juice/puree into the dutch oven but then use kitchen scissors to cut up the tomatoes right in the can.) Stir to combine then add the chicken broth. Bring to a boil then add the rice. Stir well, reduce heat to medium low and cover. Cook for 25 minutes. I find that after those 25 minutes I need to take the lid off and simmer, stirring frequently, until everything has thickened up.

No comments: