Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sunday Dinner

So tonight I went with a Mexican/Southwestern type of feel to dinner. I had gotten pork shoulder out and suddenly got a craving for my mom's chile verde. Let me go on record as saying I know (and she knows) it's not real nor authentic chile verde. Nevertheless, it is so delicious and easy I knew I had to make it myself and teach you all how to make it as well.

First, though, let's start with homemade Spanish rice. This needs a little tweaking since it was a bit bland but still I feel a personal victory since it didn't come out of a box!

I put about a tablespoon into a pan.



Drain some stewed tomatoes. Put the juice into a measuring cup.



After the oil has heated up, put a cup and a half of brown rice into the pot.



Stir it and let it heat for a few minutes. Then add the tomatoes.



Stir them around and break up the tomatoes.



Now add the liquid. It should measure about 2 cups. Come to think of it, I think the juicy tomatoes saved my butt since it should have been about 3 cups of liquid total. Anyway, add your liquid.



Stir, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and let simmer for about 50 minutes.

Meanwhile, it's time to make the chile verde. Ingredients: 2 lbs. or so pork shoulder, one 14.5 oz. can whole tomatoes, one 4 oz. can green chiles, oregano, garlic powder, one half onion, sliced.



Slice your onions. You can use a whole one of a half onion. We had half so that's what I used.



Cut the pork shoulder into about 1.5" or 2" cubes. You'll want to trim as much of the fat off as possible.



Put it in a pan with the heat on medium-high. Add about 2 tablespoons of oregano.



Next, add about a half tablespoon of garlic powder. Maybe more, maybe less; it depends on taste.



Stir it around so all the pieces have a good amount of oregano and garlic on them.



Meanwhile, drain the tomatoes. Reserve the juice in case you need it later.



Break the tomatoes up with your hands.



Back to the pork, it is time to add the onions.



It was looking a bit dry so I added a little bit of the tomato juice.



Next, I added the tomatoes.



Finally, I added the diced green chiles (undrained).



Stir everything so it's blended, lower the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the pork is cooked. If you have more time, you could definitely let it simmer away for an hour or so I'm sure.



After about 20 minutes or so, this is what the pork looks like.



The Spanish rice is done now. Doesn't it look delicious?



Serve with tortillas, refried beans, and salad. It was a delicious dinner!



The chile verde is just as I remember from my childhood.

3 comments:

Katie B. said...

YUM! Now, I'm hungry!

Mary said...

Yeah, except you don't eat pork, right? You can totally do this with chicken (breasts or thighs)! That'd be healthier, too.

Dining Alone said...

Looks wonderful and not too difficult. I so wish Tom would eat, this would not be an easy one to cut into a single serving!