Thursday, January 29, 2009

Ramen Soup

I wanted ramen tonight but knew I would also have to cook the kids and husband dinner. I decided to make soup (usually I drain the water) because we needed to use up extra vegetables in the refrigerator. I did go to the store for tofu.

My ingredients:
Ramen
Medium/soft tofu
Green onions
Red bell pepper
Frozen corn
Frozen green beans
Broccoli slaw
Water
Two secret ingredients to be revealed later!



Pour about 10 cups of water into the pot.



Put the vegetables into the pot with the cold water.











Cut up your tofu but do not add it quite yet.



See what it looks like in the pot? It looks delicious already!



Add the flavor packets from the ramen. I used four of them.



Add about a teaspoon of sesame oil (secret ingredient #1!).



Add about a tablespoon or so of Gomasio (secret ingredient #2!).



When the water is almost boiling, go ahead and add the ramen.



You can also add the tofu at this time. Incidentally, you can use cooked chicken if you'd like.



And soup is ready!




It was very tasty. Mr. Mary Cooks said it was "pedestrian". I said, "Well, yeah! It's ramen!" The middle child loved it and had seconds. The preschooler ate most of hers. The teenager liked it (of course!).

The nice thing about this soup is that it is ripe for customization. Don't have the exact veggies I had? No problem! Use what you have on hand! Use chicken or beef or pork instead of tofu. Or use no meat whatsoever.

1 comment:

~Corey said...

This looks yummy! I'm pretty sure they don't sell Gomasio in Arkansas, but Ramen we've got.

I made soup tonight to cook in the crock tomorrow. I'm going to try to go to work.

Have a great night!