Sunday, January 6, 2008

Cowgirl Beans, Brown Rice, and Corn



Cowgirl beans, brown rice, and corn. I got the bean recipe from my new favorite website, Hillbilly Housewife! There are some great recipes on this website that look good and are frugal.

Anyway, this recipe was a success in our house. My husband and I liked it. The toddler liked it all right (well, at least she ate some) and the boys both had more than one helping each. Definitely a keeper!

I also made bread today. I've made homemade bread without the aid of a bread machine only once before, and that was probably 15 years ago. I can hardly wait to taste it. I have no idea how hot bread is surviving in this house, actually! I was thrilled to find we had whole wheat flour. Maybe next time I'll make white bread but that would definitely not last long in this house!

The round loaf. I only have three loaf pans so I had to improvise with the fourth. This one looks okay, if not perfectly round. We'll most likely use this one for a dinner accompaniment.



Two of the regularly shaped loaves. They're kind of ugly looking, I think, so I look forward to experimenting to improve shape. If anyone has any tips, please share!

No comments: