Monday, February 11, 2008

One-Pot Salsa Beef




I heavily altered this recipe. Here's the base recipe and I'll say what alterations I made.

One-Pot Salsa Beef Skillet


Prep Time: 5 min
Total Time: 27 min
Makes: 4 servings

1 lb. lean ground beef
2 cups water
1 cup TACO BELL® HOME ORIGINALS® Thick 'N Chunky Salsa
1 pkg. (14 oz.) KRAFT Deluxe Macaroni & Cheese Dinner
2 cups frozen corn
1/2 cup KRAFT Mexican Style Shredded Cheese
1 green onion, chopped

BROWN meat in skillet; drain. Return to skillet.

STIR in water, salsa and Macaroni. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover.

SIMMER 10 min. or until macaroni is tender, stirring twice. Add corn and Cheese Sauce; cook 2 min. or until heated through and blended. Ladle into bowls. Sprinkle with shredded cheese and green onion.



My alterations:
I added one can of drained jalapeƱo-laced tomatoes when I added the macaroni. I did add the frozen corn but also about a cup of frozen bell peppers (from Trader Joe's). At the end, when I added the cheese sauce I also added about 1/2-3/4 cup of sour cream. I did use the green onion (yum!) but instead of the Mexican style shredded cheese I used Cotija cheese, crumbled.

My husband put tortilla chips in his and that was divine!

Anyway, the alterations made this meal from good to awesome!

No comments: